The Footballing Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili killed in horror crash

Go down

Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili killed in horror crash Empty Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili killed in horror crash

Post by Cenation Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:10 am

Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili killed in horror crash
From correspondents in Whistler, Canada
February 13, 2010 Nodar Kumaritashvili has died in a horror luge crash at the Vancouver Olympic Winter Games after he was thrown from his sled at high speed and smashed into a metal pillar.

Kumaritashvili, 21, crashed on the final 270-degree turn of his second training run, one of the fastest points at the Whistler Sliding Centre.

He crashed into both sides of the wall before being hurled over the top of the banking.

Witnesses said that Kumaritashvili then hit a metal pole on the side after travelling at 148km/h on a track widely-regarded as the fastest in the sport.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too fast: Whistler track must be modified, designer says

Opening Ceremony: Nodar Kumaritashvili honoured

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kumaritashvili, who was knocked unconscious, was immediately placed on a stretcher with blood pouring from his face before being taken to hospital.

"This is a hard shock and difficult to take in," Germany's luge legend Georg Hackl said after witnessing the crash.

Visibly shaken IOC chief Jacques Rogge, meanwhile, said the movement was in deep mourning after the death of Kumaritashvili.

"This is a very sad day," Rogge said.

"Here you have a young athlete who lost his life in pursuing his passion. He had a dream to participate in the Olympic Games. He trained hard and he had this fatal accident. I have no words to say what we feel."

John Furlong, chairman of the Games organising committee, VANOC, said: "We are heartbroken beyond words. Nodar Kumaritashvili came to Canada with hopes and dreams that this would be a magnificent occasion in his life.

"I'm told by members of his federation that he was an incredibly spirited young person, and he came here to be able to feel what it's like to be able to call yourself an Olympian."

International Luge Federation president Josef Fendt said "this is the gravest thing that can happen in sport, and our thoughts and those of the 'luge famil'' are naturally with those touched by this event".

Competitors said during the week that the course was one of the most challenging in the world.
US luger Tony Benshoof, who was fourth at the 2006 Olympics in Turin, said that lugers were close to reaching a speed ceiling.

"The tracks are getting faster and faster," Benshoof said.

"It's getting pretty crazy. There's that word (dangerous), it's like that word 'fear'.

"It's getting down to that. I mean, 100mph (160km/h) is pretty quick. I don't know how much faster we can go."

Benshoof also spoke of the dangers to less-experienced athletes in the luge.

"They just don't have the experience, they don't have the coaching, sometimes they don't have the sleds," he said.

"But at the end of the day, we're all going out there and doing it. I'm sure it's going to be fine. I mean, all sports are dangerous. Alpine skiing is dangerous. I'm not going to try downhill."

One of the gold medal favourites also got a scare on Friday, 2002 and 2006 gold medallist Armin Zoeggler of Italy crashing.

Training for the luge, due to hold its medal race on Sunday, was immediately cancelled in the wake of the tragedy.

Fans watching the action were horrified by Kumaritashvili's crash.

"I saw it. I was right there. It was horrible," 30-year-old Melbourne holidaymaker Jonathan said.

"He was going at about 144km/h. He lost it and it didn't look like he would make it."

On Wednesday, there were several crashes during women's training runs.

Romania's Violeta Stramaturaru crashed and was knocked unconscious for a few minutes and was taken to the hospital.

The IOC has launched an investigation into the circumstances of Kumaritashvili's crash.

Technical officials are trying to establish the causes.

"The investigation is underway with the officials of the International Luge Federation and we will see in proper time when we have the report when action will be taken," Rogge said.

Agence France-Presse

R.I.P My condolences go to his family friends and teamates, hopefully Georgia can win Gold and celerbrate in memory of him.
Cenation
Cenation
Admin

https://footballingforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum