The Footballing Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Corica calls time on career

2 posters

Go down

Steve Corica calls time on career Empty Steve Corica calls time on career

Post by Cenation Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:06 am

Sydney FC veteran Steve Corica will retire at A-League's season end
By Ian McCullough
February 10, 2010 Sydney FC striker Steve Corica has announced he will retire at the conclusion of the A-League season.

The 36-year-old former Socceroo, who joined Sydney for the inaugural A-League campaign in 2005-2006, announced his decision ahead of his side's premiership decider with Melbourne on Sunday.

Corica, who scored the winning goal in Sydney's only A-League championship in 2006, made over 490 appearances in a 20-year career that started with National Soccer League side Marconi Stallions.

He then enjoyed a 10-year spell in England with Leicester City, Wolves and Walsall, as well a brief stint in Japan with Sanfrecce Hiroshima.

Corica revealed he made the decision to hang up his boots a month ago, and is determined to finish his career on a high by clinching the minor premiership.

"It was emotional telling the boys this morning at training, there were a few tears and I was biting the lip a little bit," Corica said.

"My body feels good but my gut feeling is to finish on a good note.

"I have had a wonderful experience being with the club from the start and I have a great relationship with the fans.

"I have never won a minor premiership in my career so it would be good to win that and another grand final and that is my aim - to go out on a high."

Corica will remain at Sydney in a coaching capacity and will work with the club's youth team players next season.

Sydney coach Vitezslav Lavicka said he was pleased Corica will be involved with the club and tipped the 37-year-old to succeed in his new role.

"I am very happy for him and pleased he can continue at the club, he is the future of coaching."

Corica admitted he almost quit last year following a disappointing season when captain as Sydney missed the finals for the first time and he endured a tense relationship with then coach John Kosmina.

A long chat with new manager Lavicka on a pre-season tour of China persuaded him to carry on.

"I wasn't happy with the way things went last season, but I came to the conclusion the timing wasn't right,'' he said.

"When you don't have a good season people doubt if you are up for it and I like the challenge so that was good motivation."

Corica made 32 appearances for the Socceroos and scored five goals.

AAP

Great career comes to an end, I had a lot of respect for him ,was one of my favourite players from Sydney FC.
Cenation
Cenation
Admin

https://footballingforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Steve Corica calls time on career Empty Re: Steve Corica calls time on career

Post by Newcastle_Fan4life Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:03 pm

Corica was a great player played for the socceroos 36 times. I wish him all the best in retirement.
Newcastle_Fan4life
Newcastle_Fan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Cenation Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:33 pm

Corica should be very proud about what he achieved on the Football field. To play for Australia would have been a great honour for him he put in alot of hard work and ut payed off. Congratulations in a successful career best of luck in retirement.
Cenation
Cenation
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cenation Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Steve Corica's career looks over after a hamstring injury.
Cenation
Cenation
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down