The Footballing Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bellamy tells why he wanted Willie

Go down

Bellamy tells why he wanted Willie Empty Bellamy tells why he wanted Willie

Post by Cenation Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:17 am

Craig Bellamy reveals he wanted Willie Mason at Melbourne Storm
By Phil Rothfield

January 13, 2010 Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy has revealed he desperately tried to sign unwanted Sydney Roosters Willie Mason - but was overruled by the premiers' board.

As Mason's career remained in limbo on Tuesday night, Bellamy spoke for the first time about his phone calls and private talks with the most controversial figure in the game.

"I would love to have had him in our side," Bellamy said.

"Our leadership group wanted him.

"All the players wanted him.

"I spoke to Willie a number of times because I thought he had a lot to offer our place on and off the football field.

"At one stage I thought about ringing John Hartigan (News Limited chairman and chief executive) but the board made the decision and that was that."

Storm insiders suggest the board turned Mason away for two reasons - salary cap pressure and his troublemaker image.

But Bellamy believes it will be a tragedy if Mason is not playing in the NRL in 2010.

"I'd hate to see him lost to our game," he said.

"This bloke's been one of the best forwards in the NRL for a number of years.

"He's won a premiership, a Clive Churchill Medal and he's played Test match and State of Origin football. I still think he's got a lot to offer in the right environment. I really hope he finds the right club.

"It's a shame it won't be with us but I've accepted that now and we'll move on."

Mason was relucatant to discuss his situation on Tuesday night.

"I really appreciate the interest from 'Belly' - he's a good bloke and it would have been good for me to play under his coaching," Mason said.

"I'll just keep training and see if any other opportunities come up. That's really all I can say at the moment."

The Roosters returned to training under new coach Brian Smith this week but have extended Mason's leave of absence and clearly do not want the big forward at Bondi.

Mason's manager Greg Keenan is in England on business but remains hopeful of securing an NRL deal by the start of the season.

"A lot can happen between now and the start of the premiership with injuries in trials and things like that," Keenan said.

"We're hopeful there will be an opportunity at the right club."
Cenation
Cenation
Admin

https://footballingforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum